Monday, April 12, 2010

No Oysters for Me


My friend Amy turned another year older, and decided that celebrating at Chez Panisse in Berkeley was in order. Lucky for her, we're all foodies, and happily went along with her grand plans.

I started out with one bowl of fresh carrot soup. And by one bowl, I mean two. Blame it on the zyggi. He/She likes his/her veggies. At least it wasn't a second helping of, say, a double-double @ In-n-Out.

After the carrot soup(s), the ladies ordered up a round of oysters to flaunt their ability to eat raw seafood. I had a moment with the oyster before passing it on to Mallory--SOB!

For round three, we ordered up two plates of avocado and citrus with a warm vinaigrette, and a plate of asparagus with beets and an olive tapenade. All very tasty.

We saved room for dessert, of course, to honor the birthday girl. Since Mal is also gluten free gal, we shared a delicious almond ice-cream with toasted almonds. We often share food. It's kind of our thing.

The Birthday Girl and Jo-Jo shared a gluten-laden apple tart. Happy birthday, Amy!

On Friday, my funny and adorable friend Jen breezed back into town. She announced this on Facebook, and I told her to call me if she wanted to have lunch with the funniest/awesomest person around. Her unknown friend Sonja challenged me for the title, and I returned with a suggestion to settle the score via dance-off. Some Run DMC lyrics may have been thrown out, and I decided that anyone who can bust out 'You Be Illin' was good enough for me. We all went to lunch together. Score settled.

This is what we would like you to believe happened.

But it really looked more like this

And this. Jen is kind of awesome, even though she pulls these faces and has a moustache.


Her very well-behaved daughters joined us for lunch, and discussed the merits of both Team Edward and Team Jacob over noodles. While we ate, her angelic daughter drew this lovely photo of a mermaid...holding a beer.

As Jen said, "she ain't workin' for Disney anytime soon." Well said, my moustached friend. Well said.

I ran to the restroom, and asked diligent daughter #2 to watch my bag. When I returned, this is what I saw.

She certainly took that whole "watching my bag" bit literally. What a little charmer.

On Friday night, Lancer and I headed up to SF to have dinner with Jo and Jo-Jo. Jo-Jo whipped up some tasty burgers for the crowd. Here she is in her meaty glory.


As we cooked and cleaned, we were shushed several times by the men in the living room. Joe, the kids, and Lancer were all enjoying their MAN TIME, and didn't want it interrupted by gossip and giggling. Too bad, boys. Comes with the territory.

Now I'm trying to find a reason to head back to Chez Pannisse for some of that whipped carrot soup. Mmm.

Of course, if laziness weren't my prevailing attitude these days, I would just make it. If you're so inclined (and then want to drop some off on my porch) here's the recipe.

Carrot Soup

4 tablespoons butter

2 medium onions, sliced

1 sprig thyme

2 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced (about 6 cups)

Salt

6 cups chicken broth.

In a heavy-bottomed pot, melt the butter. When it starts to foam, add the onions and thyme and cook over medium-low heat until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the carrots, season with salt and cook for 5 minutes. Pour in the broth, bring to a boil and then simmer until the carrots are tender, about 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt. For a smooth soup, use a blender and purée until smooth. Garnish with crème fraîche seasoned with salt, pepper and chopped herbs. Serves 6 to 8.


Today was my first day of a much-needed spring break. And how did I spend my day? Lounging around in a silk robe, of course. It certainly wasn't spent dodging rain and paying our property taxes in person. I parked quickly, and headed through the parking lot. That's about the time I started to notice the unsavory characters around me.

They all looked like this

and like Brit-Brit, in her K-Fed glory days

Where the scrap was I? As I exited the lot, I got hit up by a bail bondsman offering me 10% off bail. Aha!! The tax building is by the jail. Lovely. And I thought my day of running tax errands in the rain was bad.

It's this time of year that I hate THE MAN. Census, taxes...I have better things to do with my time, Mr. Government. Like driving to Berkely for bowls 3 and 4 of savory carrot soup. All about priorities, people.

In other unrelated news, I finally got kicked off my beloved Activities Committee. I suppose that's what I get for bragging that "I would never be released" and "no one would take the calling because everyone else hated it." I guess this means ward people read my blog. Hi Bish--hope you love the pics of D-Dub's abs!!

Luau Time!


They did find one kind soul who took over the job enthusiastically, and I know she will do great. We spent 2 straight hours on Sunday going over the ins and outs of the calling, including what to serve, where to buy $1 tablecloths, and why it's imperative to use tiny, flimsy plates at Linger Longers. Hint: it keeps Piggy McPiggy's from overloading. Yes, you can complain that the plates are "too tiny to hold any food" and I won't care. Rather, Chelsea won't care, cause it's her deal now. They tried to rope me into nursery, but I shot that germ-filled cesspool down quickly. You know, for the baby. Hi again, Bish! Totally willing to serve after the baby. I swear!

Activities, we had a nice, long run. After 4.5 years, I pass the torch. Thanks for the memories.

No comments: