Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Ho Ho Holiday Display-Off--Cast Your Vote!

The day has arrived! Let's take a magical journey to the destination known as my front porch. Ashley shall heretofore be known as my sworn enemy until this war has commenced. Go forth faithful voters and weigh in on what you like about each display, and who you think is the GRAND SUPREME WINNER of the First Annual Ho Ho Holiday Display Off. Leave your comments on this blog. Here is my offering:

The scene


Let's start with stage right--an overview



 Moving left to right--starting with one of the vintage blowmold soldiers I picked up in Napa last winter. This is my first year displaying them--I absolutely adore them! I tried to get Tyler to buy Ashley a similar pair last year, but he balked. Let's see if he cost her the BIG WIN. This section also features a vintage Santa boot planter.


One of my favorite pieces--the hand painted and distressed holiday sign I made! I love it, even though that song is creepy. "What's in this drink?? Don't worry, you're not leaving tonight...."


Moving along--this features a vintage sleigh I picked up at Goodwill, painted, and filled with adorable ornaments. I also love this piece!



 Moving on to stage left. This is the overview.


I mixed real greenery in with some frosted cranberries  for the red vase. I filled the festive green basket with multi-colored ornaments.


My vintage Santa. ADORABLE! I tried to talk MY SWORN ENEMY into buying him, but in a moment of panic she passed. I'm so glad she did. He's retro and jolly, and I love him.



The front door


The glow from the soldiers and lantern cast a warm and festive glow at night. I pulled a Clark Griswold and blew a circuit breaker with all of my vintage plugs, hence the delay in posting this. We took these tonight. Glow, baby, glow!







Okay, folks! Head over to ASHLEY'S DISPLAY (yawn) and come back here to cast your official vote. Our holiday merriment depends on it! Ho Ho Ho....get on it!

18 comments:

Lance said...

I vote for the Mosteas!

Julie said...

My vote goes to Ashley.

Tyler said...

With that penguin, you're sure to get Charlie's vote. I'm going to take away his computer privileges just in case he reads your blog.

Nice job on the display.

Chris said...

"Define Good" I love that! Really nice display, Mostess, but I need to vote for Ashley (tough competition here - but she's family ;)

lindsey said...

Ashley! Although I do love that hand lettered sign!

Linda said...

Whoa, you are msking this tough! LOVE the display! Impressive. I like the Santa and sign and use of ornaments! But, like Chris, I've gotta vote for family. So I vote for Ash.
I hope none of those cool objects "walk away at night!" Keep a close eye on them.

Meghan said...

Did you seriously just use cotton batting to "simulate" snow? I dunno, I think I'm gonna have to dock you a few points for that...

Alright, so it comes down to your funky and fun display vs Ashley's "refined elegance display"? Toughie.

I'm gonna have to sleep on this one.

Em said...

I vote Ashley. But I left a comment on her blog praising your worthy competition and style. This display is amazing!

The Mostess said...

Meghan--quilt batting is a tried and true display staple--I also use it in my village display. I needed to hide the risers for the soldiers. So now you know. :)

The Mostess said...

Tyler--Charlie seems old for his age. He gets a vote, I say!

Uh Nonymous said...

After viewing both, I'm a little surprised to vote for Kaari. I grew up w holiday tchotchkes ALL OVER the place and as a result, I keep things fairly minimal in my own house. I thought Ashley's was trending minimal/modern, but in the end it left me feeling like it was just unfinished. Kaari's was cohesive and the few large pieces nicely punctuated her busy background. And maybe because Christmas makes people nostalgic, the busyness of it gave me a sense of organized sweetness instead of hoarding. Kaari, you win this round.

SFMallyGirl said...

Placing my vote for you. I love that baby it's cold outside sign! Despite the rapey lyrics.

ShopGirlSF said...

Have to vote for your vintage Christmas display KJ! I thought Ashley's display was classy, but I didn't feel like it was really trying. I expect more from you people who have actual yard and porch space.

Josh Bingham said...

You get my vote Kaari. I love the "Define Good" sign. Made me lol.

Carly said...

I almost don't want to vote because both displays are awesome (and all holiday displays make me happy). Your styles couldn't be more different so this is a matter of taste more than talent, but Ashley's style is more up my alley. What can I say, I like things that are modern, cohesive, classy and a bit minimalist. But that's just me. Well done, as usual, ladies. You've inspired me to get cracking on my own display.

Woods: said...

You're both great but I vote for Ashley's. I'm with Carly, it's more up my alley.

Shelbs said...

I'm sorry Ashley, I'm going to have to go with Kaari's display this year. Someday when I have a house to decorate I will use you both as inspiration.

Dette said...

I vote mostess all the way!!!