Tuesday, December 18, 2012

8th Annual Cookie Swap

Hayley, winner of the last cookie swap, moved to Price, Utah to die. This is the kind of crazy she served up in the past.


Unable to defend her title, a new crop of first time winners popped up and took her place. Here's the skinny on this year's shindig.

 We ate some food





People brought their treats. I have to say--the competition is steep, and every year the competitors raise the bar another notch higher. The judges agreed that this was the tastiest batch yet.







The tried and true judges who are tasked with the heavy burden of tasting a million cookies without puking. Josh Bingham, Steve Leeflang, Travis Cripps, and Lance "The Common Man" Jacobs.


While we dined, the boys tallied the points, and then came out to present the winners. Ashley made a good attempt with some Wonder bread, but it didn't place.


Third place went to Carly, who suffered for her entry last year. She invented a recipe. Even worse, it was a sandwich cookie, so she had to make 144 cookies. She also burnt her hand, and was plagued with a hack job haircut. Times were tough, but this year she PREVAILED.


Second place went to our own beloved Susan Lucci. After losing seven long years in a row, she finally won!


And first place went to...Hillary Ford. The kid I used to nanny for. She's a real adult now. When I met her she was 3, and in a regrettable Pocahantas phase. I reminded her of this, and she retaliated by bringing up my loser 90's boyfriends. Touche.


The blue ribbon winners


 Time to swap!




We paid homage to Hayley and her crazy ways, faking indignation and outrage over the chosen winners.


But then a Christmas miracle happened. I was going through these photos, and found this one of Carly.


Who needs Hayley? We have our own new crazy. And she ain't moving to Price anytime soon!

PS--your cookies may be delicious, but your hot dogs are poor in taste. B wanted me to let you know.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Kaari, you are such a witty writer! I laughed through this whole post. So funny.

teuscher travels said...

Another wonderful party, now it feels like Christmas. And the winner this year was amazing, had puff pastry in the freezer and made some for the ward party, Eveb slightly overcooked bc I got distracted, it was all I could do not to eat them all before we got there!!

Ashley said...

That pic of Carly is so wondrous. She put our re-creation picture to shame! The party was exceptional this year--I don't think there was one bad cookie in the bunch. Tasty food, cozy atmosphere, baker scarecrow Santa welcoming guests, the only thing missing was Hayley. I fear I am the new Susan Lucci.

Carly said...

I have no recollection of pulling that face. Makes me wonder what other kind of faces I'm making without knowing it. Hmmmm....