Sunday, April 15, 2012

My Fabulous Staycation--Until I Was Poisoned

Lancer is a hardworking gent. We haven't had a proper vacation in years (which pains me beyond belief because we used to take epic vacations) so we decided to take a week off and live it up in Napa.

Welcome to the good life!


Plenty of TP to rip apart.


Snacks aplenty!

Room to make your beloved Dabba Dabba dolls a nice, comfy bed!


We decided on the Westin Verasa, and took off with Blake. The day we checked in was fabulous--bright and sunny.

This was the view from our balcony. Heavenly.

Beezie hopped on a chair, and made herself at home. We decided she knew what "vacation" was, and was digging it. It meant more pouch food, more TV, more sleeping in, and lots of pool time.

We got a two room suite. That is THE WAY TO GO. The kitchenette was also a bonus.



Two shower heads!! This was amazing. I showered twice a day just to take advantage of it.

We were right next to Oxbow, which houses a ton of tiny food stands that have gourmet food.


Luckily, they have a Gott's, which is our standby fave.



Lancer got the special sandwich--an Asian inspired beef sandwich, and I stuck with the fish tacos. Naturally, we got the sweet potato fries. Their dipping sauce takes the cake.


We went for a walk, and took in downtown Napa, which is cute and charming.



The next few days, the weather was uncooperative. But we've learned to just bundle up and go. We hit up St. Helena, Calistoga, and Youtntville.

We hit up Dean and Deluca, and snacked on gourmet cheese and fresh Napa Valley grapes.




We sampled smooth, delicious gourmet olive oils.


Got rides on some very soft and accommodating shoulders


Did a little window shopping


Chased each other all around the soft grass in a churchyard



One of the standout meals was at this little hole in the wall named Buster's. Our valet told us about it, and he was right--this was some of the best BBQ we've ever had, and I lived in the south!


Before


After


Happy Momma. The tri-tip was outstanding, though I have to say the sides were nothing to write home about. The sauce was amazing. I wish I had grabbed a jar before we left.

This is where it all started to go downhill. We spent the afternoon at Dr. Wilkinson's, and each got massages while the other one played in the pool with Beezer. That part was great. Beezie was a natural in the water.

The weather outside was rainy and freezy, so we sought refuge in the indoor pool. It was hot and steamy, and I started to feel the effects of heat exhaustion. We headed over to one of our favorite haunts, and I was feeling better.

I have no idea what I ate, but it laid me out. We ate there on Wednesday, and I'm still sick on Sunday. I've barely eaten anything since then. I'm almost positive I accidentally ingested gluten--I feel like I ate 50 loaves of wheat bread. Ugh. Not the greatest way to end a fabulous and relaxing week, but in writing this post, I'm able to see the good times we had.

We also came up with a few rules for traveling with Blakely:

1. Indoor pool
2. 2 room suite
3. Kitchenette
4. No more than 3 days

Till next time, Napa!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Poisoning aside, this looks really wonderful. Especially those sweet potato fries! And I love good bbq. Your room looks fantastic too--the pics of B lounging on the bed and on the patio chair are awesome. That girl lives well! However, you really should leave her with me the next time you want to go--in fact make that rule numero uno!

brooke said...

I agree with Ash...kid free is the only way to travel. But I repeatedly make that mistake so I have no room to talk. You guys eat like kings except I didn't see a CPK. Shame on you. Napa really ia missing out.

The Gilberts said...

Sad! Food poisoning, ick.

Elizabeth said...

Your trip away looked so great... until the poisoning!

I love all the pics of food you posted... Its my dream to eat BBQ!