Saturday, February 4, 2012

Yay or Nay?

How does everyone feel about Mommy Calling Cards? I think I need some. Much to Ashley's chagrin (and utter disbelief), I am always running into people I actively want to befriend.

There was the lady at Erik's Deli with a baby the same age as B. We chatted, we giggled, we were baby mamma soulmates...and then she was gone for good because I didn't know how to ask for her info without sounding like I was hitting on her. I've been with the ol' Ball and Chain for a decade now. I'm out of practice.

It happens all the time. There's a girl in B's class I want to invite to dine and play with us. There's the fun new girl in the ward, but Lancer threw away the scrap of paper I wrote her name on. And on, and on, and on.

First things first--I would never have "Mommy" on the card. Who's creating these cards? Is it Blakely? Then' Mommy' is charming. Is it an adult I'm not related to? Freaking creepy!

So--I think my ideal card would be preppy and crisp--with my name, email, and phone number. Ignore the creepy 'Mommy' biz.




But then I found this adorable card. It's a letterpress, and includes a sketch of your child. I can just see Beezie now, curls on point, adorable bow in hair.


Whether I need some of these cards is not up for debate. Feel free to mock me, just don't try and dissuade me from moving in this direction. I collect friends.

Which card do you like the best? Am I right to be creeped out by the 'Mommy' on the card? Do you love that little Maeve Baldwin card as much as I do? Am I freak? Is my next stop Mommy 'n' Me Horsesback riding lessons in Burberry? Just kidding about that last one. I checked. B can't ride a horse until she's two and a half.

**UPDATE**

I got a set of these in celery. No mention of 'Mommy' or 'Beezie.' Very cute! Can't wait to hand them out!


9 comments:

Kristine Gray said...

Run, don't walk, away from the mommy cards. Have simple contact cards and then you can write "mom to Beezie" on it if it's a mommy meet up. You don't want a Mommy card to hand out when the casting agent for the next NKOTB video walks up and wants to cast you on the spot.
I like the ones here:
http://www.tinyprints.com/shop/contact-cards.htm

teuscher travels said...

You crack me up. Out of all of them I like the third on the best, but ditch the mommy stuff, it makes you sound like a momanger. And, although cute, if somebody handed me one of the last card I would think they had a leeetle too much time on their hands. Just a card with your info though can appear like you just really have your act together and/or like printing things.
I say I don't have any friends but I do have about 5 or 6 girls I arrange meet at classes or stop for coffee that I met in our town. Everyone is looking for friends and I liked the style of the first girl that asked me for my number when I moved here- strike up a conversation, toward the end mention it would be fun to get together sometime, then carefully gauge reaction (very important!), should the person look interested then ask if you can have their phone number and say you will text them so they can have yours it (puts you on equal footing and also then you aren't waiting for them to call like if you give them your card, ball is in both of your courts this way), while you are standing there enter phone number and text with a cute "so nice to meet you NAME" so they aren't wondering what the number is for later, then follow up a few days later trying to arrange plans. Texting does work really well in this context because you are not stuck making a conversation on the phone with someone you are trying to get to know but it gives you enough to arrange a meet up. I have only tried this method in England, have not tested it on American soil. More than likely though moms are always looking for friends, all of us are in the same boat at home. I want to see the final card you choose!!

Molly said...

I like the idea of having cards with just your name on them and the writing Beezie's name on it as you give it to the lady. Less weird that way. Last year I was at the park with my boys just before my maternity leave ended and I met the nicest girl from Korea. She had only been here 2 months for her husband's job and didn't have any friends yet. She was so fun and I wanted to get her number, but there was also another lady there who didn't seem interested in hanging out with us in the future, but was chatting with us anyway. I felt weird asking for one of their numbers but not the other (or faking that I wanted the second lady's number), so I just left at the end. I've regretted it since!

Ashley said...

I shudder at the thought of passing out my number, but I get it and think these would work really well for you. The last ones are SO adorable, I love them the best (especially with a little curly haired girl with a GIANT bow) but I can see that if you run into Donnie you might not want Beezie's face on there. You could always go crazy and get some basic ones and some of the little girl ones. Also that first one screams Piperlime to me.

Good luck picking up chicks!

brooke said...

I agree with Ashley...these are sooo you and I love the idea. Get the last ones with Beezie's face and curls..go all out or don't go! These are to give to other moms so why not have the moomy business on them?

Greg said...

what is celery? is that a color?

Em said...

I have never ever heard of these! But they make a lot of sense.

Plus, you seem like a very sociable and fun person and so these cards are totally appropriate and very very cute. I love the ones you ordered.

btw, I ALMOST snorted water up my nose while reading your comment on Elizabeth's blog about that crazy wedding because I was laughing that hard.

teuscher travels said...

Love the ones you picked! So very you!

Heather said...

I had a guy on a plane give me his business card last weekend (he's a musician), and I thought that was odd, but if I met you in real life, I would probably demand one of these...