Friday, December 16, 2011

7th Annual Cookie Swap--AKA Hayley's Redemption


Cookie Time is always big around these parts. This year was my 7th annual cookie swap. It may or may not have been two weeks ago now. I have no idea what day or month it is, or what I've been doing until 2 AM for the last weeks, but it sure wasn't blogging. It's a blur of parties, trees, lights, and candy.

Partying is hard biz with a baby whose "job" consists of following you around making messes where once things were clean and orderly. But I prevailed like the party girl that I am, and threw this party like a seasoned pro. Probably not, but nobody likes a Negative Nelly, right?

Let's start with the judges. It's the same crew as always. They're seasoned professionals, though I'm contemplating flying Greg out next year since he takes his role as a judge very seriously. Seriously, Greg. It's always the first Sunday in December. Pencil me in now!

The judges consist of a professional chef, 2 amazing cooks, one amazing baker, and 2 everyday gents who decide what the masses would like. I won't tell you who's who...expect that Lancer is one of the everyday gents. His proximity to me automatically makes him a judge. Lucky him! And, hey, maybe the other dude is a great baker or cook. Invite me over for a gourmet meal, and I may upgrade you to "great cook" next year.

It's a tough job. It really is. I would puke about 12 cookies in, and they had to eat 34 of them. Oh my Pepto.

The ladies stepped up the competition, and baked up some tasty offerings. Here they are on display in their sugary glory.



As the judges ate, deliberated, and tallied up the votes, we got to sit around and enjoy a tasty dinner. This year, I made white chicken chili. Everyone asked for the recipe, so here it is:

Nanny's White Chicken Chili

3 cans of white northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium onion, chopped
3+ cloves garlic
2 4oz cans green chilies, diced
1 1/2 t ground cumin
1 t cayenne pepper--omit if you don't like the heat
1 t oregano
1/2 t salt
One whole cooked chicken, shredded
1 large (49 oz can or box) chicken broth
1 cup water

Put all ingredients in the crockpot, and cook on High 3-4 hours. Serve with grated white cheese (Jack, Muenster, Mozzarella) and corn chips.


The lovely bakers




Somebody even burnt their hand on a hot pan. Settle down, girl! It's not like you're vying for an Ultimate Grand Supreme title--though I think you would rule mini-guns.

The judges came out and delivered the anxiously awaited results.

The lovely and talented baker Natalia placed third. She has placed every single year for the last 5 years. Her tree now has 5 gingerbread ornaments to serve as reminders of her greatness.

Candace won second place this year. Last year, she placed first, and three years ago she placed second. She is clearly a talented baker as well.

And the first place prize goes to....the long-suffering, always-the-bridesmaid-never-the-bride, multiple loser......HAYLEY ATWOOD!!! PS...your hair looked fab!

She was so excited to win that she hugged my family out of sheer joy. Beezie found this suspect....because she clearly remembered last year, when Hayley was ALL KINDS of crazy about losing for the 4th year in a row.

In case you needed a visual reminder about her breakdown. See below.

The winners showing off their prizes. I loved each and every piece I gave away this year, and thought twice about squirreling them away in the Party Shed, and giving them crap prizes instead. This is always my litmus test to see if the prizes are good. They were.

The swap begins while the boys eat some dinner, and dodge the angry ladies who felt cheated. This scene is always awkward.



Thanks to all who made the 7th Annual Cookie Swap a sweet and tasty success. But mostly I would like to thank the judges who made Crazycakes Hayley the first place winner. I feel like January through November of 2012 will be much more enjoyable without her constant bellyaching and ballyhooing. That makes me the real winner. Now give me back that gorgeous red pedestal bowl!

7 comments:

Greg said...

Kaari, you had me at the Gingerbread Cookie that you led your post with.

Assuming my invitation has not been revoked, I'm marking down December 2, 2012 on my calendar. Thank goodness it's Fast Sunday...I'll be sure to bring my appetite (especially if you promise to make the white chili recipe again)!

It looks like a great party and your hostessing talents never cease to amaze! I can't believe you had 34 entrants...Congrats on pulling it off!

Carrie said...

You're such a fabulous hostess! What a fun event and I'm pretty sure we were in a sugar coma around here for a few days afterwards.

brooke said...

I am wiling to be flown in as a guest judge as well....

I don't see Ashley anywhere at this party...did she no show?

You throw a good party!

Ashley said...

I didn't see me in the photos either, and I'm ticked about it! I better make it into the photos next year!!!

I believe Greg will be there, although that does not give me any hope for victory in 2012 given his record.

Loved the chili! Hope to see that bowl gracing Hay's V-day party!

Hayley said...

Rule #1 of our friendship...NEVER post a snaggle-fiable picture of a bestie. That first picture of me is hideous, just want to make that clear for people who have never met the 2011 cookie competition winner.

Now that that's out of the way, great party. Chili was so tasty. Treats were beautiful. And last but definitely not least, judges were at their finest. As always, the comp is the highlight of my holidays. I wish there were some way to thank you for all your hard work. You ain't getting the pedestal bowl back though.

Xo!

The Mostess said...

Ash--I did find a photo of you, but I looked ugly. No bueno.

The Gilberts said...

How about photos of the winning cookies? Haha-- good for you, Hayley!