Friday, August 12, 2011

I'm Tight with The Po-Po

I feel like I call the cops more than anyone else I know. I'm not sure why that is. Do I encounter more weirdos than most people? Do I have better gut feelings? Am I always in the right place at the right time? Are most people apathetic?


I called the cops today for the second time in a month. The first time was to report a brush fire on the side of 85. The dispatcher seemed confused by my location, which led me to believe I was the only one calling. If you saw a large bush smoldering and smoking, wouldn't you call the fire department? I did.

Fast forward to today. I was driving to my friend's house when I see this crusty homeless dude on a bike--drinking a beer--chatting up a 10 year old girl. I drove by, but my gut feeling was to go back and make sure this girl was okay. I flipped around, and pulled up to the curb in front of them. He definitely noticed me, and was always looking around. I was trying to read the situation better because I didn't want to call the cops unnecessarily. Looking at their body language, it didn't seem like the knew one another. Once I saw him take a swig of the beer, and lean in closer to the girl, I called the cops, and waited until they showed up before leaving.

I figure this guy A. has no business talking to a young girl he didn't know and B. drinking a beer in a public place at 10 in the morning around a kid. The weird thing is there were other people all around, and no one else did anything. A guy was washing his car across the street, and a neighbor came out of his house and gave the unlikely duo a 'good morning' as he passed. Really?? Good morning creepy drunk dude and young girl he's suspiciously leaning into?

Seriously, peeps. How often do you call the cops? And would you have done the same thing this morning? I hope the cops took this young girl home, and told her parents what happened. That kid needs a serious dose of stranger danger. In the meantime, I will keep the police, fire, and animal control on speed dial. You totally want to be hanging out with me in an emergency.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I think what you did was great. It is a pity more people dont take notice of all the bs going on in their communities.
Wouldnt it be great if the Po Po issued you with your own taser so you could make executive decisions about the ratbags you see ;-)

brooke said...

I salute you. You did the right thing.

I call the cops more than the average person as well. Remember when I witnessed some gangstas ripping a flat schreen tv out of Target and I got the plate which to this day, I think is a total miracle.

I also don't think twice about calling the cops on scary larry's in my neighborhood or over zealous door to door salesman.

Ashley said...

You need to learn how to make a citizen's arrest. I never call the cops, but I do roll down my window and yell at people that I think are out of line, and I make a lot of calls to managers to complain about customer service, which seems to be along the same lines. I'd like to start calling the cops more. Oh, and be proud of yourself for helping that girl. Who knows what could have happened.

Em said...

You totally did the right thing! If that 10 year old was my child, I would send you reward money.

I was thinking I could be part of the club who calls the cops, but I think you Brooke and Ashley are in an elite group. I've recently changed my ways because the other day some stranger called the cops on my SISTER, because she left her dog in the car for 2 minutes in his CAR SEAT with the windows down. She got charged with a misdemeanor and the cop stood in the Costco parking lot yelling at her in front of everybody. It was hard to feel grateful for the do-gooder who called the cops that day.

But in your case with the pervy drunkard...two thumbs up!