Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I Blame Stephanie Rich

You folks know how much I love Halloween. And countdown calendars. So I especially love Halloween countdown calendars.


Back in 2009, Stephanie threw down the gauntlet and decided to make her own PBK-inspired Halloween advent calendar. It's based on the PBK inspired one above, and ends up looking like this:


I somehow got it in my head that she was full of great ideas, and that I should follow suit. I ran out to Jo-Ann's, bought insane amounts of felt, and started on my project.

What a tedious load of work! That thing took for-ever! I worked on it for hours and hours. Each square required different colors, buttons, numbers, patterns. It was exhausting. I shelved the project, and it ended up hiding in my party shed.

Fast forward to spring 2010. I had just found out I was prego, and thought it would be a *great* idea to whip out the overwhelming bag of junk and get cracking. I worked for hours at craft night, and felt like I made great progress. Then I got busy, and the project never left my trunk.

Fast forward again to late summer 2011. Fall is creeping up, and I want this stupid thing done and hung. But I somehow misplaced the bag with all 31 completed pockets. I'm 87% sure Satan is involved at this point.

I still have the main components. In theory, I could run out and buy more felt for the pockets. My other option is to convince Lancer that my sewing skills are so impressive that I can now make items that look like this.

Of course I made this, dear! What's PBK?

Please convince me that Blakely will appreciate the handiwork and effort I put into this thing. I'm about to set it on fire.

On a related Halloween note, I attended my first sewing class tonight, and decided to do a basic 8-panel Halloween skirt. I chose this fabric:

I think it's adorable. The plan is to make my skirt, and then use my newly acquired sewing savvy to sew B a matching jumper, and then parade ourselves all over the Bay Area in October. That won't be our costumes, just our holiday finery.

On a slightly related note (but really just to get out finishing my stupid calendar) I think I can make these paper mache inspired decorations. Anyone in?

Don't answer that in the affirmative. Just tell me to go finish my advent calendar for the love of all things dark and spooky.

8 comments:

Ashley said...

Put that calendar (wait, isn't it lost?) in the garbage this instant! Suddenly $60 or whatever the PBK one sounds like chump change.

Ashley said...

Also, I am jealous that you and B will have coordinating Halloween finery. OF course that's not your costume!

Molly said...

I started knitting a ridiculously complicated and huge cable-knit scarf 3 years ago (3? I think 3.) and I am determined to finish it one of these years. The only problem is that I have to re-learn how to knit every time I decide to work on it. I'm not a knitter. I chose the most complicated pattern as my first project.

Let's race. You on your advent calendar. Me on my scarf. At least I know where my scarf is... ;)

I'd say let's get together and work on them while we chat, but it takes all my concentration. "Knit 1, Pearl 1, Knit 3, Knit 3, Knit 3, Pearl 1..."

Kristine Gray said...

I think I'm going for the $60 PBK one.

teuscher travels said...

Have you seen the stuff Stephanie churns out?? I have a quilt for Hadley that she just "whipped up" and it is gorgeous. Mine would never look anything like hers so I just forked it over for PBK and never looked back - if she is throwing down the gauntlet I assume she wants real competitors, not someone that can just stitch in straight lines which is about what I manage. I love that fabric! Trying to imagine what are you wearing it with? You will look darling with B in it as well! It would make super cute bunting, serious fabric jealousy over here!

Dayna said...

I cannot wait to see pictures of you two in your Halloween clothes! WHAT will she be for Halloween! Can't wait!

YOU CAN DO IT! Finish that calendar!!! :)

brooke said...

This post was hilarious. I want pics of you and B in your Halloween finery. I'm 100% sure Satan was involved in your losing that advent calendar. That, or the spirit is just telling you it wasn't that good and you should shell out for the PBK one. I want one too now...thanks a lot!

The Gilberts said...

I am soooo lazy and non-skilled in the area of crafts, I say get up a donation fund and buy the thing you want, but now you have me interested in the eventual outcome of this project... I won't judge you if you buy, you never hear me talk about hand making my kids' costumes, I just buy. done. :)