Sunday, July 22, 2012

Gizdich and Tilden

We've been enjoying the great outdoors. We started out with Tilden Park. This is a hidden gem of the East Bay. It's great because it can be everything to everyone--farm, lake, carousel, steam train....what doesn't this park have?

The Lake


The Carousel



The Farm



You can bring celery and lettuce to feed the animals. We hit Safeway on the way there and grabbed some. Speaking of Safeway, you should never order the pulled pork sandwich from their deli. I saw mine being assembled, and left it to rot in Lance's car for 2 days. Sorry for the smell, babe!






We stopped outside the farm to have a relaxing picnic lunch. B snacked, climbed on rocks, and used Lancer as a jungle gym.





After visiting Tilden, Blakely said her first independent prayer: "Animals. Toys. Amen." Short and to the point. I like it.

We also hit Gizdich Ranch with Carly and Kai Kai.


B got her first timeout in public for hitting Kai Kai in the tunnel. If you see her in the next few weeks, you will also know this. She wears it as a badge and can often be found recounting the tale: "I hit Kai Kai in the tunnel. I got a timeout." She beams with pride. I'm ordering "Hands are not for Hitting" on Amazon tonight.


We intended to go berry picking--but a necessary bathroom stop (thanks Mcd's Large $1 DC!) landed us at the farm, and we never left. It was just too shady, quaint, and charming.

I hit people in hay tunnels!


Despite B's violence, Kai Kai enjoyed his time with her atop the famed hay tunnel.



We ordered lunch, which is a killer deal for around $6. Sandwich, chips, drink, berries, and a cookie.


Since I can't eat the cookie, I opted for the strawberry sundae. It eased the pain. Poor Lancer worked all day, so we eased his pain with a piece of ollalberry pie that he claims also eased his pain.

Then we lazed around while the kids played on the tractor, dug in the sand, and ran around enjoying the fresh air.

B charmed a gaggle of 10 year olds into playing with her. She looked like a little tween hanging with the girls. I think they were talking about finding each other on Facebook and hitting the Bieber concert in October.

"I'll totes call you. We should totally hook up again!"

B set up a crab apple shop, and spent a chunk of time organizing her merchandise. Daddy's genes.

I'm glad to report that we spent the majority of last week playing in dirt. B's bath water has been so gross, which is always a good sign. I'll take my lil Pig Pen just the way she is!

6 comments:

Hayley said...

I love dirty bath water. It makes me feel like a good mom for 2 reasons:
1- my kids had a good, exhausting day of fun, and
2- I'm a good mom for giving my kids a bath

Gizdich is glorious. Such a great hang out. Those pics of Lancer & b are darling!

Elizabeth said...

These days look like so much fun. I love the prayer and she is so super smart about the time out.

Greg said...

Kaari, where do we sign up to go on one of these fun adventures?

Greg said...

PS--B is hilarious for thinking that being in time out is a badge of honor!

Tyler said...

I love the dirty bath! That's commendable. So so funny about how proud she is of her time out. You are in for big trouble--but at least she prays! Do you and Lancer go do these adventures on Saturdays? I'm impressed and jealous--we always end up hanging out at home watching golf. My only knowledge of Tilden Park is I prosecuted a guy who was harassing people there. Sounds like a nice place.

brooke said...

I am never letting Buster see your blog. He thinks summer is about the mall, the gym and sometimes being babysat at grandma's house.