Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Children of the Corn

B and I had a very fun and relaxing trip back to The Heartland. We landed in Minnesota, headed down to Wisconsin, then finally made our way to Iowa. It was the triple threat of Midwestery.


Let me break down our travels into a Top Ten. It always works for my tall, luminous friend.

The Food

Oh, the food! We got to hit 2 back to back fairs--Clear Lake Days in Wisconsin, and then Sturgis Falls Days in Iowa. We ate inordinate amounts of sloppy joes, pie, fries, brats, pulled pork and things on sticks.



No trip to The Heartland would be complete without the requisite DQ stop. Peanut Buster parfait, please!


The Janky Rides at the Aforementioned Celebrations


I'm from a small town. I like small town fairs. And I like the possibility that a ride could kill me. I turn my nose up at permanent, well constructed rides. Luckily for B, I only took her on the carousel. She's not as risky as me.



Super Wal Mart

Super Wal Marts around every corner. They have food! They have camping gear! They have clothes! They have paper towels! They're heavenly. Our closest Wal Mart is in Mountain View, and everyone I know avoids it like the plague. It's poorly stocked--and good luck finding anyone to help you!


This was a good find. I took one in "extra chunky" and wheeled her home.


Picnics in Parks and Military bands


We got to just chill at the park, nosh on delicious food on sticks, and listen to the old-fashioned military bands. It's very Music Man.





The Space

Acres, and acres of space. Huge house. Room to roam and roll around. Corn for miles. The Heartland is spacious!






Corn



Tractors



Family


Blakely especially loved my cousin Conner. At first, she wasn't totally convinced.

But she quickly became a fan, and they had a lot of fun getting to know one another



She especially liked that he let her pull his hair. I'm still trying to break her out of this habit.


Ducky Bath at Grandma's House


The best way to get clean!



Garage Sales

I totally cleaned up at the town garage sales. I got a bunch of Dr. Seuss and Berenstain Bear books for a quarter each. Score!

I also got this super cute vintage school house for the wall above Blake's toys in the living room.

I also found these handmade old-fashioned American Girl Doll outfits at the Sturgis Falls fair. The outfit on the left is a muslin nightgown, and the one on the right is an adorable eyelet dress with a bonnet. It's my first purchase for the secret collection, and it's fun to have something from my hometown.

That was my first time traveling with Blakely. She was such a good little traveler! I packed plenty of snacks, but she was fine as long as she had an audience. She's a TOTAL attention hog! One guy on the plane gave her a friendly smile, and she spent the rest of the flight trying to win him over.

When he ignored her, she threw her toys at him, smiling the whole time. He gave her a little wave, then tried ignoring her, but she wasn't having it. She reached out and hit him in the arm. Greeeaaattt. Just what I need--a little ham.

Pay attention to me!!

And that sums up our fun and wonderful trip to The Heartland. I shall not eat corn or brats for the next 5 years.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Anything on a stick sounds good to me. That pic of you and B in the corn is the best--totaly field of dreams out there! I can't believe you like those freaky/sketchy carni deathtrap rides! Glad you had good times--B's smiles are the cutest.

Crystal Escobar said...

What fun pictures!!! Looks like you had a great time and ate some yummy food. I love brats! YUM!

brooke said...

I loved this post, though won't eat anything on a stick...except a frozen chocolate banana.

Those carni rides scare me to death. Put me on the scariest roller coaster in the world and i'm fine....but I don't want to ride something that was assembled yesterday.

I can't figure out where B gets her personality....hmm.

Love, your tall luminous friend.

brooke said...

Hey did you get my text? We're on for Monday!

Hollywood Megastore said...

Great Trip with family. You can add charm to your trip/party with hollywood themed decoration. You can also buy them online via>>Hollywood Party Decoration